In this camp session, campers will learn how to get started designing and implementing custom visuals for Power BI. The session examines the Power BI Visuals API that Microsoft created to assist in the development of custom visuals. Campers will learn how to define the capabilities and data mappings for a custom visual and how to program D3-style data binding using categorical data from a Power BI dataset. The session also demonstrates how to extend a visual with custom properties as well as how to take advantage of the powerful utility classes that are included along with the Power BI Visuals API. Along the way, campers will learn how to package a custom visual as a PBIVIZ file for distribution and how to add custom visuals to Power BI Desktop projects as well as how to publish custom visuals at organization scope.
What Campers Will Learn:
- Getting Started with the Power BI Visual Dev Tools (PBIVIZ)
- Creating and Testing Custom Visual Projects
- Defining Data Roles and Data Mappings
- Extending a Visual with Custom Properties
- Programming DataViewObjectParser and VisualSettings
- Working with the Selection Manager
Campers attending this session should have prior experience developing with Node.js, TypeScript and Visual Studio Code.