This session examines how to automate tedious data modeling tasks in Power BI Desktop by developing an external tool using C#, the Tabular Object Model (TOM) and Visual Studio 2022. Campers will learn how to build a custom .NET application that connects to datasets running locally in Power BI Desktop. The session also teaches campers how to program with TOM to create and modify datasets objects such as tables, columns, measures hierarchies and RLS roles. Along the way, campers will learn how write code which executes DAX queries, creates calendar tables and formats DAX expressions.
What Campers Will Learn:
- Deploy a Custom .NET Application as External Tool for Power BI Desktop
- Export a dataset definition as model.bim file
- Automate the creation of tables, columns, measures and hierarchies
- Automate the creation of calendar tables
- Create and manage RLS Roles
Campers should have experience developing .NET applications using C# and Visual Studio.